UEM platforms have become crucial for organizations to maintain Security and safety of devices and the protection of corporate data. In this blog, we’ll delve into HCL’s UEM platform and how it takes endpoint security to a whole new level.
Meet BigFix: The comprehensive endpoint guardian
Let's talk about HCL's BigFix. BigFix, HCL’s Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) Platform supports on-premises, mobile, virtual and cloud deployment and provides visibility and security for all the endpoints regardless of its configuration. Not only that, but it leverages AI/ML based intelligence, endpoint discovery, multiplatform support, co-management, Multicloud management, and remediation through its offerings BigFix Lifecycle, BigFix Compliance, BigFix Inventory, BigFix Workspace, and BigFix Remediate.
- BigFix Lifecycle simplifies the management of OS and application lifecycles by automating patching across all connected endpoints within any configuration. Additionally, it provides endpoint inspection and real-time query of endpoints, eases OS upgrades, software deployment, server automation and remote control.
- BigFix Insights grants high-level endpoint visibility, enabling in-depth analysis of endpoint trends, leading to risk identification. All endpoint data is diligently stored in a repository, from which valuable insights are extracted, paving the way for informative visualization reports that empower effective decision-making.
- BigFix Compliance continuously monitors endpoints and applies security configurations to ensure alignment with industry-standard security benchmarks, including CIS, DISA STIG, USGCB, and PCI DSS. The continuous compliance capabilities are unique in that the automated monitoring and remediation is autonomous to the endpoint, i.e., it doesn’t require a continuous internet connection.
- BigFix Inventory takes charge of license compliance, deftly discovering and overseeing software usage across file systems. The software asset inventory offers a comprehensive view for license reconciliation and compliance needs, furnishing critical insights into all deployed software on the endpoints. Since it uses the same agent and is integrated with the other modules, it automates license enforcement actions at scale, such as uninstalling application software when you have exceeded your license count.
- BigFix Remediate is all about automated patching: It efficiently patches hundreds of thousands of endpoints at scale regardless of device type, location, connection or status. It supports over 100 different OSes and hundreds of 3rd party apps, and offers remediation integration with the top vulnerability remediation scanning solutions.
The Game-changers: BigFix WorkSpace, CyberFOCUS and BigFix AEX with Generative AI
HCL BigFix prioritizes end user experience and endpoint security and offers BigFix Workspace and CyberFOCUS as its key differentiators.
HCL BigFix Workspace:
BigFix Workspace offers a comprehensive management suite encompassing desktops, laptops, and mobile devices. It centralizes end-user device management, automates endpoint security, enhances the user experience, and drives cost savings while optimizing processes to proactively tackle security threats.
This solution empowers end users with BigFix automation, allowing them to reduce IT workload through one-click resolutions. For example, it can handle password resets, restore security configurations and optimize disk space without IT intervention. Leveraging AI technology ensures consistent, personalized end –user support cost-effectively, significantly reducing service desk calls and boosting employee satisfaction.
HCL BigFix AEX:
BigFix AEX is a Digital Employee Experience (DEX) add-on to the Workspace self-service application that:
- Provides a proven Generative AI-driven conversational chat solution that can support dozens of use cases out of the box, including standard operating procedures, OS help, application help, plus security and configuration issue resolution.
- Is in use with more than 3 million active users across more than 5,000 use cases.
- Comes out of the box with multiple communications methods supported, including chat, text, voice, etc.
- Is integrated with multiple popular communication channels and third-party systems (e.g., Facebook Messenger, Slack, MS Teams, IT Service Management (ITSM), Robotic Process Automation, (RBA) and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems.
HCL BigFix CyberFOCUS:
Let's dive into how HCL BigFix, with its cutting-edge companion CyberFOCUS security analytics, is revolutionizing endpoint security. Imagine a world where your devices are not just managed but fortified against threats in real-time. CyberFOCUS is a security analytics component that seamlessly integrates with HCL BigFix.
CyberFOCUS has a vulnerability simulator that maps all the MITRE Advanced Persistent Threat attack groups to exploited vulnerabilities and exposures. This simulator allows “what if” analysis that shows the number of exposures that would be reduced by remediation of specific CVE’s (Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures) currently being exploited by specific groups. It also automatically recommends specific remediations that will reduce the maximum number of exposures to reduce the overall attack surface with the least amount of business disruption.
BigFix insights for vulnerability remediation provides seamless integration with top tier vulnerability scanners like Tenable, Qualys and Rapid7, delivering a unified perspective of all vulnerabilities throughout the organization. This solution automates CVE attack surface reduction by pulling CVE exposure and prioritization data directly from those vendors and matching it with the correct remediation content to enable automated remediation processing.
BigFix CISA KEV (Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency Known Exploited Vulnerabilities) catalog is a US Federal Government resource that tracks attacks in the wild. The BigFix integration Immediately tells you, at a glance, if you have CISA Known Exploited Vulnerabilities in your environment and if you are past the government due date, helping organizations to manage cyber risk reduction across SecOps and ITOps with collaboration and speed. It also does this without any additional scheduled endpoint scans.
BigFix introduces the new concept of Protection Level Agreements (PLAs), which facilitates measuring and tracking cyber risk from a business perspective. In this case, PLA corresponds to the OS and Application patching cadence, or the amount of exploitable vulnerability time that your organization has agreed to allow. The number of days it takes you to patch your systems is directly related to the value proposition at the intersection of security and IT, which is the ability to control and reduce your vulnerability exploitation time. It is a measurable control point, which is the PLA.
BigFix automatically evaluates the number of devices that were patched, as well as the devices that were not patched over a user-adjustable time period. It gives a report of devices that are compliant to the patching cadence and the devices that are not, and does this over multiple security patching software content, including critical OS server patches, critical Windows patches, as well as various application patch content as well. BigFix therefore provides automated measurement of your organization’s cyber risk via measurement of the exploitable vulnerability time, which is under your control.
The Big Picture: Why BigFix Workspace with CyberFocus & AEX
BigFix Workspace is a truly unified solution providing comprehensive management and security for all client and mobile devices.
CyberFOCUS provides organizations with innovative methods to reduce their attack surface and protect their brand integrity.
In the world of Unified Endpoint Management, HCL BigFix Workspace, AEX and CyberFOCUS security analytics are a formidable combination that can be thought of as the comprehensive endpoint guardian that can elevate an organization’s endpoint security to new heights. By leveraging its capabilities, the safety and integrity of the devices and associated corporate data in today’s fast-paced, technology-driven landscape is ensured.
According to Divya Baranawal, VP and Principal Analyst, Quadrant Knowledge Solutions, “HCLSoftware provides a Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) solution through BigFix, which includes features like BigFix Lifecycle, BigFix Compliance, BigFix Inventory, BigFix Insights analytics and BigFix Modern Remediate. BigFix also allows third-party integrations with the use of REST API. HCLSoftware has received strong ratings across technology excellence and customer impact and has been positioned as a leader in the SPARK Matrix™: Unified Endpoint Management (UEM), 2023.